Oklahoma has built a reputation as a professional pipeline under coach Bob Stoops. After Joe Mixon, Samaje Perine, Dede Westbrook and Jordan Evans were selected in last week’s NFL Draft, the Sooners extended their streak of at least four players drafted to 10 years.
With a year to go until the next draft, let’s take a look at five OU players who could be picked up by NFL teams in 2018.
5. Baker Mayfield, QBAfter placing in the top four of Heisman Trophy voting both of his first two years in Norman, you’d think Mayfield would be a shoo in to be drafted next year. Mayfield’s skill set and size don’t exactly translate to the pros, but expect one NFL organization to take the risk, especially if he wins the Heisman his third time around. Predicted round: 6 7
4. Steven Parker, SA two year starter entering the 2017 season, Parker has long been a reliable option on Mike Stoops’ defense. A good senior campaign, coupled with his prototypical NFL frame, should earn Parker a mid round grade. Predicted round: 3 4
3. Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, LB/EDGEReplacing the infamous Eric Striker, Okoronkwo was effective at getting to the QB in 2016 but never really broke out. He’s ranked as the No. 4 OLB in the 2018 NFL Draft by CBS, a standing which could be bolstered by a more assertive 2017 campaign. Predicted round: 3 4
2. Jordan Thomas, CBSince his breakout season in 2015, which included a Big 12 high five interceptions, Thomas has been considered a lock to be drafted whenever he decides to come out. He elected to skip this year’s draft, returning to Oklahoma for his senior season a move which will likely literally pay off in 2018. Predicted round 2 3
1. Orlando Brown, OTWith his giant frame 6 foot 8, 360 pounds and advanced skill set, Brown will wholesale jerseys
be one of the top OL prospects when he likely declares his eligibility for the draft in 2018. He will need to cut down on his personal foul penalties if he wants to have an established NFL career, however. Predicted round: 1